Johnny Depp used to be a bit of a bad boy (well more like a very bad boy), some of his movies were not big hits (aka flops) and he’s been known to have gotten down and dirty with a few Hollywood starlets. However, the 45-year-old actor has tamed his wild ways, settled down with the love of his life, Vanessa Paradis, made two beautiful children with Vanessa – Lily Rose, 9, and son Jack, 6 – and his career is definitely hot (so is he). Here are 10 things that you may not know about the Pirates of the Caribbean swashbuckler:
From The Post showbiz:
1. Johnny was born the youngest of four children and moved from Kentucky to Florida when he was five. He says: “Before I was 15, we moved 30 times, once just from one house to the house next door. I asked my mom why. I never did understand her explanation.”
2. Johnny was a bit of a rebel as a youngster. He took up smoking at 12, lost his virginity at 13 and was soon dabbling in drugs and booze. He was also suspended from school for mooning a teacher before dropping out at 16 to join garage band The Kids.
3. Johnny played lead slide guitar on Oasis track ‘Fade In-Out’ when the band’s own guitarist was three sheets to the wind. Legend has it he stepped in at the last minute and nailed the lead on one take.
4. Johnny dated a string of beauties including Kate Moss and Winona Ryder but says he is prone to ruining his relationships with jealous rages. He tells us: “Oh boy. Oh f***. I was a professional at it. Oh, the scenarios I dreamed up. Oh f***. Oh. I mean, world-class.”
5. What first attracted Johnny to sultry singer Vanessa Paradis? The sight of her back! He spotted her in the lobby of a Parisian hotel seven years ago and recalls: “Whammo, man, across the room, amazing, incredible, awesome. The back, the back, I saw the back, and I was reduced to [mush].”
6. Johnny has such a close relationship with Tim Burton that he would have sex with an aardvark if the director demanded it.
7. Jack Sparrow’s line in Pirates of the Caribbean “…and then they made me their chief,” is lifted from comedy series The Fast Show, in which Johnny once famously appeared. “I think it’s one of the most brilliant things I’ve ever seen in any medium,” he gushes.
8. How excited was Johnny with his Oscar nominations for Finding Neverland and Pirates Of The Caribbean? Um… not very. He attended the ceremony after his Pirates nod, but moaned: “All Vanessa and I could think of was: ‘When and where can we go smoke?’ And: ‘Where can we get a drink?’ And: ‘When is it over?’ And: ‘Please, don’t let me win’.”
9. Johnny likes to avoid the press by checking into hotels using ridiculous names. He says: “I used to use the name Mr. Stench; it was funny to be in a posh hotel and hear a very proper concierge call out, ‘Mr. Stench, please’.” He has also used Emma Roid but denies reports that he stayed at any establishment under the name ‘Donkey Penis’.
10. Johnny dared What’s Eating Gilbert Grape co- star Leonardo DiCaprio to sniff a rancid pickled egg and paid him $500 when he did the deed.
I’m not sure if he’ll want to share all of the juicy details of his past life with his kids as they get older but with the monster that is the internets, he might have a hard time denying such things!